Did you know that...
The name Catford derives from the cattle’s crossing over the River Ravensbourne. Another name theory associates the name with black cats. Supposedly, this is where cats were drowned during the witch hunts. Broadway Theatre is one of the notable buildings in this part of South East London. It is a Grade II listed structure built in 1932 and it was known as the Concert Hall. Another Catford Hither Green Bellingham landmark is the Gothic style police building. The old town hall dates from 1875. The first Hither Green houses were built in the 18th century. A water hand-pump dating from 1850 exists in Rushey Green.
Excalibur Estate was until 2011 UK’s largest prefab estate. Architect Owen Luder designed the shopping center and Milford Towers. Both buildings are notable examples of Brutalist architecture. Eros House is a Grade II listed building in this SE6 area. Heavyweight boxer Henry Cooper lived in Catford Hither Green Bellingham. The Farmstead Road house where the boxer lived for 18 years is marked with a plaque. A number of famous people including actor Jude Law, actress Gladys Cooper, author Dora Jessie Saint, and musician Juris Kalnis are among the notable Catford Hither Green Bellingham SE6 residents.
The most popular street in Catford Hither Green Bellingham is Randlesdown Road. It’s the main street where one can find different shops, pubs, and a gym. Street names such as King Alfred Avenue, Arnulf Street, and Elfrida Crescent are derived from King of Wessex Alfred the Great and members of his family. Bellingham railway station opened in 1892. Hither Green is another railway station that serves the area. This was the site of the 1967 rail crash. A plaque at the station commemorates the victims of this terrible accident. It is believed that on the site of the present Hither Green stood a settlement called Romborough that disappeared because of the 14th-century Black Death.