Did you know that...
Bromley Common is a BR2 area that sits between Masons Hill and Hastings Road. It also borders Petts Wood and Orpington. The common was enclosed in 1862 and the housing development began. The first residences were built around Oakley Road and Princes Plain. Holy Trinity Church was built in 1842. The southern side of Bromley Common developed much faster than the northern one. Henry Hebbert owned Bromley Villa in the 19th century. Chatterton Road was built after Hebbert died in 1864.
Chatterton Arms pub was opened in 1870. Hit or Miss was its original name. This was most likely a reference to the highwaymen that frequented the area back in the day. The Shooting Common was a nickname of this South East London area. Nowadays, the pub carries the name of Thomas Chatterton, an English poet of the 18th century. Chatterton Road borrows the poet name’s as well. Many restaurants and shops such as beauty salons and hobby stores can be found on this street. Just William author, Richmal Crompton, lived in Bromley Common. British Army officer Charles W. Norman lived in the area. In 1947 he was named High Sheriff of Kent. In 1956 he was president of the Kent County Cricket Club.
Cricket was present in the area since the 18th century or even earlier. The first mention of a cricket game played on the Bromley Common comes from 1735 when the Kent club played against the London Cricket Club. Between 1735 and 1752, the common hosted 12 games. Famous cricket player Robert Colchin, known as Long Robin, led the team of the Bromley Cricket Club. It was one of the best cricket clubs in the UK in the 18th century. Many other notable cricket players such as John Bowra, Robert Lascoe, and the Bryant brothers trained at the Bromley Cricket Club.