Did you know that...
Hayes is first mentioned in the 18th century as Hoese. The name is derived from an Anglo-Saxon word that refers to a “settlement covered by bushes”. This South East London area is in the historic county of Kent. It was a large ancient parish of 5 square km. Hayes Street is the center of the old settlement. The center had a school and the church. St Mary the Virgin is a 12th-century Gothic building. Architect Sir Gilbert Scott and son John Oldrid Scott did significant alterations to the building in the Victorian era. William Pitt the Younger was christened at this church. He lived at Hayes Place.
William Pitt the Elder, the father of William Pitt the Younger, lived at Hayes Place as well. The house was opposite the church. It was owned by the Hambro family. The house was demolished in 1933. Pittsmead Avenue bears the name of the house’s inhabitants. In the 15th century, some Hayes residents joined Jack Cade’s Rebellion. Urban development began after wealthy London residents bought land in this BR2 area. In 1801, there were 382 residents. By 1921, the number grew to 1010. The area is served by the Hayes railway station. This terminus station opened in 1882. This area housed an anti-aircraft gun battery during World War II at Hayes Common.
The George pub was first mentioned in the 18th century but it is believed that it’s much older. The pub can be found on Hayes Street in the old part of the village. Coffee shops, hairdressers, cycle shop, and supermarkets are also found here. Christopher Greener lived in Hayes. For 40 years, he was the tallest person in the UK. At the time of his death, he was the fourth tallest British person. He was a basketball player and an actor. Hayes School is a secondary school established in 1956.