Did you know that...
The first mention of East Sheen comes from the year 950. The area was then known as Sceon which means shed or shelters. This part of South West London was a manor of Morlake. In the 15th century, haberdasher William Welbeck bought this area from the Gaynsford family. It remained in the Welbecks’ possession until 1587. Sir Abraham Cullen owned the Temple Grove estate in the southern part of the area in the 17th century. In the 18th century, it was owned by the Temple family. East Sheen is now an economic center with a high street bursting with activity. Numerous stores, shops, offices, supermarkets, cafes, and restaurants can be found along the high street. The Triangle is an East Sheen landmark. It features a milestone from 1751 that marks 10 miles from the Cornhill. The Triangle also has a war memorial.
The Sheen Gate provides residents with easy access to Richmond Park. East Sheen Common is an open space that features a woodland, tennis court, and bowling ground. Its cricket ground is the home ground of Sheen Park Cricket Club. East Sheen Common leads into the Richmond Park via Bog Gate. Palewell Common is another open space. It has sports facilities such as a tennis court, pitch and putt course, and playgrounds. Mortlake railway station serves this area. All Saints Church was established in 1929. The nave was destroyed by fire in 1963. The stained glass window honors Suzy Lamplugh, a member of the congregation that went missing in 1986. St Leonard’s Court features a Grade II listed air-raid shelter.
Computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee who is regarded as the inventor of the World Wide Web lived in East Sheen as a child. The Sheen Lane Center has a mosaic in his honor. Comic book artist Don Lawrence hails from this SW14 area. Actor Tom Hardy spent his childhood years here.