Did you know that...
The first mention of this TW8 area comes from 705 when an Anglo-Saxon charter mentions Breguntford. The name derives from the River Brent and it means “ford over the river”. The location of the ford supposedly was where the main road intersected the river. The settlement is of early pre-Roman origin. Bronze Age pottery and Iron Age artifacts were found here. It’s possible that pre-Romanic tribes used this area as a meeting place. The Brentford horn-cap is a famous artifact from 100 BC. It features the Celtic knot – also known as the Brentford knot – that has become a popular decorative pattern.
A battle between Roman general Julius Caesar and local lord Cassivellaunus was fought in the area in 54 BC. The Brentford Monument documents this battle. In his depiction of the battle, Julius Caesar mentions sharp stakes protecting the river bank. Many oak stakes were uncovered when the Brentford Docks were built. However, there is no other evidence to support that this was the place where Julius Caesar crossed the Thames during the invasion of Britain. Brentford Docks building started in 1855 and was completed four years later. Pocahontas the Native American Pamunkey princess and her husband, English settler John Rolfe, lived in Brentford TW8 in the 17th century.
The Ferry Lane monument commemorates the Battle of Brentford. This historic event took place in 1016 when King of England Edmund Ironside defeated King of Denmark Canute. John Quincy Adams, the sixth president of the United States of America, lived in the area. Saint Lawrence’s Church is built on the site of a 12th-century church. Hugh Ronalds and several members of his family are buried in the church’s graveyard. Brentford F.C. is a football club from Brentford. The club was founded in 1889, its home stadium is Griffin Park, and it plays in the Football League Championship.