Did you know that...
Barnes Castelnau SW13 is mostly known for the villas built in the neoclassic style by the heir of the Baron of Castelnau. The nobleman left France and settled here in the 17th century. The Baron and his descendants are credited for naming the area and also for its development. The name is a French expression that translates to “new castle”. It is borrowed from the French commune Castelnau-Valence. In 1691, the 10th Baron of Castelnau and Huguenot St Croix sought refuge in this South West London area. The Baron’s son Charles Boileau settled in the northern part of Barnes.
The building of the Hammersmith Bridge kick-started urban development in 1827. Architect William Laxton designed Castelnau Villas and Major Charles Lestock Boileau built them. Castelnau Row, Castelnau Place, and Gothic Cottages were built in 1842. After the Major died in 1889, Upper Bridge Road changed the name to Castelnau. In 1926, the Castelnau Estate was built. It comprises 640 houses which now have private owners. Some of the Barnes Castelnau roads carry the names of St Paul’s deans that held the manor of Barnes. Holy Trinity Barnes church dates from 1868. Local architect Thomas Allom designed it. Architect Ronald Hardy designed the Catholic Church of St Osmund built in 1958. The nearby primary school is affiliated with the church and borrows its name.
Robert Abbot and Eric Holder founded Abbott and Holder art dealership in 1936 at his house in this SW13 area. The gallery moved to Museum Street. The UK Government Art Collection and the British Museum have had dealings with Abbot and Holder. Since 1977, a part of Barnes Castelnau is a conservation area. Local attractions include a variety of pubs, cafes, and restaurants. The nearby wetland reserve London Wetland Center opened in 2000. It features four Victorian reservoirs that are no longer in use.