Did you know that...
In 959, Hanwell was known as Hanewelle. The origin of the name is not clear. One theory says that the name comes from the Anglo-Saxon word “han” which means boundary stone. The other one states that the name derives from Han-cred-welle which means well on the boundary. This W7 area which is now the westernmost settlement of the London post town is part of the historic county of Middlesex. In the 18th century, the Uxbridge Road was built and the area became traveled. Several coaching inns that offered stables, storage, and accommodations for the night were built along the road.
Today’s Hanwell King Arms pub is most likely the first inn on the Uxbridge Road. Its original name was Spencer Arms after Edward Spencer who owned the manor of Boston. The Viaduct was another inn in this part of West London. It was known as the Coach and Horses when it opened. It was renamed after the Wharncliffe Viaduct. Parts of the original 1730 stable still stand. The Duke of Wellington was another popular Hanwell inn. Unfortunately, the building was demolished in the 1920s. It was opposite the police station. The Duke of York stagecoach inn dates from the 18th century.
St Bernard’s Hospital opened in 1831 as a mental care facility. It was Middlesex’s first county asylum. Parts of the old building remain. Notable staff includes psychiatrist John Conolly. St Thomas the Apostle Church of England is a Grade II listed building. Elthorne Park is established on the grounds of the 16th-century La Bromeland estate. The Hanwell “Sarsen” Stone is a glacial erratic from the Ice Age. Charlie Chaplin went to Cuckoo Schools in Hanwell. The rock band Deep Purple used to rehearse at the Hanwell Community Center. Jimi Hendrix had a house in the area but he never lived here.