Did you know that...
Archaeological findings show that Leyton and the surrounding area were inhabited since the Paleolithic era. There are also traces of Roman habitation such as a cemetery and a villa. This E10 area was part of the county of Essex in Anglo-Saxon times. The name Leyton comes from the River Lea and the Anglo-Saxon word “tun” which means settlement. The Domesday Book records it at Leintun. Forty-three people were living here in the 11th century. The name changed over the years. In 1921, the area was known as Low Leyton. Most of the residential buildings are terraced houses from the 19th century.
The building that houses St Mary the Virgin church in Leyton mainly dates from the 17th century. That’s when it was rebuilt. The original building was older. The High Road is the main road that passes through this area. It is part of the ancient road that led to Waltham Abbey. The High Road intersects with the Lea Bridge Road and Hoe Street. This area is known as the Bakers Arms. It takes its name after a now-demolished pub that was named after the 19th-century almshouses built by the London Master Bakers’ Benevolent Institution. Leyton became a desirable living area starting with the 17th century when wealthy London residents moved here. The urban development began when the railway came here.
Leyton includes part of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. It hosted the 2012 Olympic Games and features the athletes’ Olympic Village, the London Stadium, London Aquatic Centre, and London Olympics Media Centre. Iron Maiden, a famous heavy metal band, was formed in Leyton. The band’s discography has grown to 39 albums. Iron Maiden is considered to be one of the most successful heavy metal bands in history. Footballer Benik Afobe, pianist Bobby Crush, and creator of the London Underground Map are some of the most people that lived in this East London area.