Did you know that...
Clayhall takes its name from the manor house that belonged to the de la Claie family who owned land in the area. The first mention of this IG5 area comes from 1203 when Richard de la Claie gave land here to Adam and Matilda de la Claie. The next mention comes from 1410 in a conveyance that talks about the Clayhall manor. It is believed that the manor remained in the de la Claie family’s possession until the 14th century and that it had several owners after. Sir Christopher Hatton, the cousin of the Lord Chancellor, is among the notable inhabitants of the Clayhall house. William Ingram is another historical figure who lived here.
In the 18th century, the manor house was demolished. It is believed that Peter Eaton was the last owner of the manor. Clayhall Park is a local attraction. It’s a perfect spot for sports as it features tennis courts, cricket pitches, and a bowling green. The park also has two children’s playgrounds and a cafe. A golf course can be found at nearby Fairlop Waters Country Park. This place also attracts water sports fans. Most of the houses in this area date from 1920. Clayhall has a few stores that cover the basic needs of its residents. Fortunately, nearby Westfield Stratford features more than 300 stores. It has a cinema and many places to eat. Barkingside and Woodford Green are also used for shopping by Clayhall locals.
While this place is huge and has a big population, it has no rail link or direct London Underground. Residents use the nearby tube stations at Gants Hill, Hainault, Redbridge, and a few others. Ilford is the nearest railway station. While it lacks a tube and railway station, Clayhall is served by six bus routes that connect this East London area to Woodford Wells, Chingford, Romford, Wood Green, Hainault, and Barking.