Did you know that...
In 1850, Bromley By Bow E3 was called Bromley-St Leonards. Fellowship of the Royal Society of Edinburgh winner William Harold Joseph Childs was born in Bromley By Bow E3 in 1905. Early accounts show that the area’s name initially appears as Brembeley, Brambele,or Brambelegh.
The convent St Leonard’s Priory was founded around the year 1000 during the time of William the Conqueror. The nunnery is mentioned in the Canterbury Tales. Five hundred years later, in 1536, it was destroyed. Many of the historic buildings in Bow Bromley By Bow E3 have been demolished.
In 1931, Mahatma Gandhi visited Kingsley Hall. The community center is named after Kingsley Lester. His sisters, Doris and Muriel, used the money he left after dying to transform a chapel into a community center as per his request.
Bromley by Bow is a borough in East London’s Tower Hamlets and is located east of Stratfordand West Ham, southeast of Canning Town, and south of Poplar. The area is divided by the Blackwall Tunnel Approach Road (A12) from north to south and to the east it is bordered by the River Lea.