Did you know that...
Stamford Hill is an Inner London district situated approximately 5.5 miles (8.9 km) northeast of Charing Cross. A sub-borough of Hackney, the key part of the London Borough of Hackney, the area is renowned for having the biggest population of Charedi Hasidic Jews in all of Europe.
Stamford Hill N15 takes the name of the hill that is supposedly named after the ford that marks the intersection of Hackney Brook with the A10 road. Thirteen-century documents call the ford Sanford and Saundfordhill. An 18th-century map shows the Stamford Bridge instead of the ford.
In the 18th century, the remains of those executed at Tyburn were displayed on a gibbet in Stamford Hill. The gibbet was behind Cedar House. Actresses Barbara Windsor and Freema Agyeman attended Our Lady’s Convent Roman Catholic High School in the area.
Famous cottage gardener Margery Fish was born in Stamford Hill in the 19th century. Politician Samuel Morley had a house in the area. The prominent Jewish Montefiore family lived here in the 18th century. A very large community of Ashkenazi and Hasidic Jews live here.
The area is served by London Overground Stamford Hill station. Other nearby stations are Stoke Newington station, Seven Sisters station and London Underground Manor House station.
Places of interests near Stamford Hill include Woodberry Wetlands, Potemkin Theatre, Sutton House, Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art and Gillett Square. The area is home to St. Ignatius’ College, which was founded by the Jesuit order in 1894. Famous former students of the school include Cardinal Heenan and Alfred Hitchcock.