Did you know that...
The first mention of Buckhurst Hill comes from 1135 under the name La Bocherste. The name later changed to Bucket Hill. It means “hill with beech trees”. The early settlement was in Epping Forest and numbered only a few houses most of them along the Woodford to Loughton route. This East London area was part of the stagecoach road between London and the neighboring areas. St John’s Church was built in 1838 and Buckhurst Hill became an individual parish in 1867. The lord of the manor donated land next to the church which allowed the construction of the St John’s National School. The building of the school costed £209.
The suburban town Buckhurst Hill developed in 1856 thanks to the opening of a railway line. Six hundred houses were built by 1871 around the station. Prince’s Road school was established in 1872. Buckhurst Hill tube station opened in 1856. The original station building is still on the site. In 1892, the entrance moved to Victoria Road and a new station was built. The newer station is the one that is currently in use. The smaller Roding Valley tube station also serves this IG9 area. Roding Valley is the least used London tube station. This station borrows the name of the River Roding.
Famous highwayman Dick Turpin lived in Buckhurst Hill IG9 with his wife Elizabeth Millington. The two owned a butcher’s shop. English historian and Justice of the Peace William Addison lived here with his wife Phoebe Dean. He wrote many books on the history of Epping Forest. Labour politicians Richard Crossman and Jack Straw are other notable inhabitants. The Only Way is Essex reality show was filmed at a beauty salon in the area. Buckhurst Hill also features in the Essex Wives documentary. Loughton Rugby Union Football Club trains on the pitch at Hornbeam Road.