Did you know that...
The oak canoe found here hints at an Iron Age settlement. Sewardstone name derives from the proper name Seward and “ton” which means farmstead. The first mention of the area comes from 1177. Henry II granted land here to the Waltham Abbey. The Pentensary is one of the oldest houses in this E4 area. It was the home of the Abbey’s pittancer. Netherhouse and Carrolls are 17th-century buildings. James Sotheby bought the manor in 1674. It remained in the Sotheby’s possession for more than 200 years.
Gilwell Park in Sewardstone is the headquarters of the international Scout movement. The area was a medieval farm that turned into an estate in the early 20th century. In 1407, John Crow owned the farm that was then called Gyldiefords. The name changed to Gillrolfes when Richard Rolfe bought the farm. In the 18th century, highwayman Dick Turpin ambushed London travelers in the Gilwell forest. Scout Commissioner William de Bois Maclaren bought the estate in 1919 and gave it to the UK’s Scout Association. It has become a Scout landmark as it hosts the Wood Badge training for Scout Leaders from all over the world. The facility can accommodate 10,000 people.
King George V Reservoir opened in 1913. It borrowed the name from King George V who attended the opening ceremony. The New River and River Lee Diversion supply the reservoir with water. W.B. Bryan designed the original pumping station. H.A. Humphrey, the engineer who invented and patented the pump that bears his name, designed three pumps for the reservoir. They are no longer in use since 1970 but they are still on the site. The Sewardstone reservoir attracts many birdwatchers. It also hosts the King George Sailing Club. Thames Water issues permits for those who want to visit this East London reservoir.