Did you know that...
Plaistow is an east London area in the London Borough of Newham and makes up most of the E13 postcode zone. It is a suburban district, including a number of council estates. The major streets in Plaistow are the A124, A112 and Plaistow Road/High Street/The Broadway/Greengate Street/Regent Lane.
Plaistow’s name derives from the name de Plaitz and the word stow. In the 11th century, Philippa de Montfitchet married Sir Hugh de Plaitz. She was part of the Mountfitchet Castle family who owned the area that became “the village of Plaiz”.
Legend has it that notorious highwayman Dick Turpin stole two oxen from Mr. Giles who lived in Plaistow E13. Writer Aaron Hill, biologist Roderic Gregory, footballer Martin Peters, and Edward Temme the first man to swim the English Channel in both directions are some of the most notable inhabitants.
Places of interest in Plaistow include the 4.0-hectare (10 acres) Memorial Park and the 3.8-hectare (9.5 acres) Plaistow Park, which is also called Balaam Street Recreation Ground (from 1894 to 1999). There are also numerous small parks in Plaistow, and about 1.6 km (1 mile) to the north is the huge West Ham Park.
Balaam Street is one of the oldest roads. The name might come from Hugh de Balun who owned several properties here in the 12th century. Some believe that the name derives from Walter Balame. In the 16th century, Sir Roger Cholmeley who was Lord Chief Justice owned the area.
Aside from post offices, convenience stores, and other establishments, blocks of flats and houses occupy most of the area. Restaurants and bigger shopping center can be found in nearby areas like Green Street, Stratford and West Ham, all of which are within walking distance.