Did you know that...
Newbury Park in East London is district of Ilford located on the east side of Gants Hill in the London Borough of Redbridge. The tube station is the area’s key landmark. Its post-war bus shelter was created by architect Oliver Hill (who created the Midland Hotel in Morecambe) in 1937 and is a Grade II listed construction. The shelter won a Festival of Britain award in 1951. Newbury Park, on the Central line, is the closest London Underground station in the area.
The first mention of Newbury Park IG2 comes from 1348. The first suburban houses and a primary school were built here in the 19th century. Until 1920, Eastern Avenue was known as Hatch Lane.
Nearby areas in Newbury Park include Seven Kings, Goodmaves, Barkingside, and Aldborough Hatch, while schools include Newbury Park Primary School and Oaks Park High School (situated on Perrymans Farm Road), William Torbitt Primary (located on Eastern Avenue), Seven Kings Primary, and Valentines High School.
There are 3 synagogues (the South West Essex Reform Jewish, United Synagogue and Barkingside Progressive Synagogue) as well as several churches in the area. Local attractions near Newbury Park include Epping Forest, Valentines Mansion, Redbridge Museum and Kenneth More Theatre.
Nearby attractions include Valentines Park. The park inspired the name of the Itchycoo Park song by Small Faces. Valentines Mansion is a grade II listed building. It was built in 1696 and the first inhabitant was the widow of the Archbishop of Canterbury.